Sunday, October 30, 2011

First Beer Review - Hopmore 69

Tobey has really been bugging me to add a beer review section to my blog, especially since he loves writing beer reviews and loves drinking beer.  So, I have given him free-reign to launch a beer review section to the blog.  We have decided to only review homebrewed beer, so feel free to send us samples!

The inaugural review will be of Hopmore 69, an American IPA brewed in Charlottesville, Virginia by my friend, Kevin.  He is an excellent new brewer with some riveting ideas and is also a fellow blogger (check out "The Homebrew Project" on my Blog List).  He sent me a few bottles this past Friday.  I'm looking forward to his wife's Honey Chamomile Wheat.

Hopmore 69 
Brewed on August 27, 2011
Tasted on October 29, 2011
Original Gravity (OG): 1.069
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016
ABV: 7.1% 

Poured from the classic homebrew vessel (12 oz. brown bottle) into my sweet Sam Adams glass that Lily stole for me.  Pleasant hiss as I popped the cap.  Cloudy, reddish, rust brown color.  Billowy tan head with excellent retention.  Check out the pic.
Pleasant hop aroma.  Piney.  The aroma reminds me of the Cascade hops I grew back when I lived in Virginia.  Strong carbonation gives the beer a nice bite.  Refreshing for an IPA.  Not as hop forward as some IPA's are now.  The beauty is in the balance for this beer.  The hop flavor leads into a slight malty sweetness and finishes with a firm bitterness that lets you know you are drinking an IPA.  Medium body and on the drier side.  Beautiful lacing on the glass.  Perfect attenuation for his first brew!  Very drinkable and an overall excellent beer.
Tobey enjoyed the beer, but was still mad that I didn't bring back the armadillo that was walking under my truck when I left work!

1 comment:

  1. hey man, glad you enjoyed it! my first critic review, awesome! we racked the honey chamomile yesterday and tasted it, i think its gonna be a unique tasty beer. brewing the chocolate coffee stout this weekend. stay posted!

    ReplyDelete