Saturday, December 3, 2011

Sun Harvest IPA and a Mess on the Stove

With Andi's parents coming in town for Thanksgiving this year, I was hard-pressed to get some good beer on tap in time.  Luckily, the Sun Harvest IPA brewed on November 7th was ready.  I ended up dry hopping the batch with 1 1/2 oz. of Citra in the carboy for 10 days followed by 1 1/2 oz. Citra in the keg. 

The beer came out with a FG of 1.010.  Dry, but the rye gives it a nice mouthfeel.  It's a nice golden color with a pungent hop aroma.  The Citra hop is very interesting.  Tropical flavors like mango, pineapple, and citrus abound.  Pleasant firm bitterness and dry finish with  just a hint of malt.  The dry hopping really brought out the hop aroma and perceived flavor in this beer.  I'm glad I purchased a pound of these hops, and I'm looking forward to using them in conjunction with my other staples of Amarillo and Centennial.  YUM.


The other day I decided to open a bottle of Russian River Consecration.  I thought it would go well with the mussels Andi and I were cooking for dinner.  Consecration is a sour beer aged in oak barrels with currants added.  It's brewed with Brett, Pedio, and Lacto among other things.  I kept it for about one year since I got it in the mail back in Virginia.  It's one of my favorite beers.  By the way, our dinner fucking rocked!


Since I love this beer, I decided to use the dregs and add them to a batch of sour beer that is aging in the fermentation room.  Basically, I add the dregs to a small gravity starter that has been boiled on the stove and cooled.  I'll check for activity after a few days and add it to my sour beer.


Here's a mixture of about 100 ml of water with 100 g of light dry malt extract.  Let this come to a boil to sanitize and then cool it down.  I decided to take a picture of the Consecration bottle as this was approaching a boil.  Check out the pic below.


It's a great shot of the bottle but an even better view of Andi's sweet ass.  I was mesmerized and forgot about the flask of wort boiling on the stove.  Here's what happened...


Oh well.  It was worth it!

I hope everyone out there had a great Thanksgiving while understanding that ours was probably better.  You just can't beat fried turkey.  Ask Lily. 


MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment